Palazzo MediciPalazzo Medici is a Renaissance palace located inFlorence, Italy.
This was built for Cosimo de’ Medici by Michelozzo diBortolommeo. It was built as a town home for the wealthy Medici banking family.The building is divided into 3 levels by a string coursewhich makes the building seem lighter and taller. The tripartite elevation isused here to express the humanistic ideas of rationality, order and classism.Each story is 20 feet high. The lower lever with rusticated stone masonry isthe entrance level.
The second level called the piano nobile is the main levelof reception and state rooms were the guests are entertained. This is alsowhere the bedrooms for the main family members existed. The upper level hasmore delicate and refined stone work. This level is for the use of minor familymembers and children. It also had an attic where the staff were housed.
Amassive cornice crowns the roofline. Double windows with roman arches arefeatured on the second and third stories of the palazzo.There is an opencolonnaded court right at the center of the palazzo. These are inspired fromthe peristyle gardens that was excavated. The wall paintings of the villas arealso seen in the décor of the courtyard. There is a chapel for the maji insidethe palazzo which has a series of wall paintings. The interiors are decoratedwith elaborate coffered and gilded ceiling and marble floors which are inlaid.
Palazzo RucellaiPalazzo Rucellai was built by the famous architectLeon Batista Alberti for Giovanni Rucellai who was a wealthy wool manufacturerin Florence. It was constructed between 1446 and 1451.This was built a few years after Palazzo Medici and takesinspiration from it. This building also has tripartite façade which gives us asense of geometry and lightness.
The tiers are divided by horizontalentablatures that run across the facade. The masonry used here is more delicate than theMedici palace. There are a lot of classical elements like pilasters and roundedarches on the façade. The pilasters are used here to visually support theentablature. The order of the columns changes, going from the least to mostdecorative as they ascend.
On the first tier they are of Tuscan order, on thesecond, Ionic and the third, Corinthian order.The ground floor is where the business was conductedby the family and is flanked by benches running along thestreet facade. The second level called the piano nobileis where the guests were entertained. The third floor is for the family’s private apartments anda hidden fourth floor with few windows for the servants. The palace contains an off-center court, of which threesides were originally surrounded by arcades.Similarities. Both are renaissance revival palazzos built in thefifteenth century in Florence.
. Both Medici place and Palazzo Rucellai have tripartiteelevation.. A sense of geometry and balance.
. Classical elements can be seen in the façade of bothbuilding.. Both were built for wealthy merchant families of Florence.. Similar windows with Roman arches.. Benches on the exterior for the public to rest.
. Both Palazzos have colonnaded courtyards in theinterior. Differences. The masonry of Palazzo Rucellai is much delicate thanof the heavy, dark and rusticated masonry of Medici Palace.
. Palazzo Medici has a columnated courtyard in thecenter and Palazzo Rucellai has an off-centered courtyard with columns on 3sides..
The toptier of the Palazzo Medici is almost entirely plain, whereas in Palazzo Rucellai,architectural features is used for ornamentation throughout the design.. More classical elements like pilasters andentablatures are seen in Palazzo Rucellai. Sources: www.
museumsinflorence.com; www.khanacademy.com;www.wikipedia.com 2. Cassone is a rich and showy wedding chest of the renaissanceperiod made to contain the bride’s trousseau. In the early renaissance, therewas a general demand for improved richness and comfort in movable furniture,and the cassone became the most prestigious and finest piece of furniture inthe house.
The cassone traditionally were made in pairs. One forthe bride and one for the groom. They were commissioned by the young groom as agift to his bride or by the family members for the newlyweds.
This was filledwith brides’ clothes, linen and other precious items in anticipation of the wedding.Cassone were mostly placed in the bed chamber or sometimes even in the livingroom. This would later serve as a storage piece and could double as a settee.The cassone were either inlaid or carved, prepared withgesso ground then painted and gilded. Since it was associated with marriage, itwas a medium for painted decorations that commemorated the marriage.
The panelswere often used for giving instructions to the young bride and groom. Battle scenesfor the groom and classical and literary themes for the bride were especially popular.The panels on the side would often depict instructions for the young wife intaking care of her husband.
Since furniture were pushed against the walls inthose days, the backs of cassone were often unfinished. They were generallymade in walnut. This cassone called the Triumph of love and two loverswas made in sienna in 1469-1500. It is elaborate in its design. It is decoratedwith painting and gilding.
Joinery and sculpture techniques have also beenused. The story depicted here is of queen Dido and her love Aeneas. Dido wasthe first queen of Carthage and Aenas was her lover, a Trojan hero. Thepainting on the cassone depicts Dido’s process to the Temple of Juno, and showsthe meeting of Aenas and Dido. Dido’s role as the founder and vision behindCarthage is symbolized in the attention to architecture. The sides of thecassone show an unidentified coat of arms. The back of the cassone is adornedwith a painting of nude female. Although the initial whereabouts of the cassoneis unknown, it was later given as a wedding gift to Princess Louise (daughterof Queen Victoria) and Marquis of Lorne in 1871.
3. The Gubbio Studiolo was built forthe duke of Urbino, Federico Da Montefeltro in Ducal Palace in Gubbio. The studiolowas the duke’s private retreat for study and meditation. This is a masterpiece ofperspective of inlay in wood called intarsia.At one glance it looks like a fully outfitted interiorbut upom close examination, we realize that it is a way to fool the eye byusing the intarsia technique. The illusionism is done to the highest extenthere. The studiolo is made of hundreds of varieties of wood in various colorsdone in inlay to create the illusion of walls, benches and cupboards with avariety of the duke’s belongings on display.
These illusionary objects show the wide range of the duke’sinterest, including books, scientific, artistic and musical materials. Someof the wood varieties used here are walnut, oak beech, rosewood, and fruitwoodson walnut base.The thumbnails belowshow cupboards with lattice work that hold various items that the dukepossesses. The image on the left shows a bench below a cupboard that holdsbooks, a symbol for the order of garter, quill case and a jeweled broom. Theimage on the right shows a cupboard with a musical instrument, a militaryknife, a book and pipe box.
All of the belongings depicted in both of theimages, have strong ties to the glorious military history of the duke and hisintellectual curiosity towards science, music and literature.